I’m going to be honest here. I am not the healthiest person I know, and I don’t always follow my own advice. I am, however, determined to change that.
So I’ve made a list of resolutions for living and feeling better, starting now.
- Allow Myself Some Grace. Life is always changing. I will learn how to flow with the ups and downs. I will celebrate the victories, but I won’t beat myself about setbacks. I am human, and I can make mistakes. The point is to keep going and not give up.
- Sleep. I have horrible sleep habits and am chronically tired. It doesn’t help that I can be up for 24 hours straight. Chronic sleep deficiency is linked to an increased risk of heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, and stroke, so I’m making my sleep habits a priority. I will make my bedroom a haven for only sleep. This means essential oils at night, soft music, and no electronic devices at least two hours before bed. Sleeping Beauty promotes restful sleep with melatonin, magnesium, and organic valerian root—so can you fall asleep faster, and stay asleep longer.*
- Hydrate. I’m historically bad about hydrating during the winter. I don’t get as thirsty as I do in the summer, so I constantly remind myself to drink water. I started adding lemon or fresh mint to my water for flavor. The lemon provides an energized boost of vitamin C and antioxidants while aiding digestion. Drinking more water also hydrates my skin, and keeps me glowing.
- Keep moving. I’m committed to working out at least 3 to 4 times a week. I have found a workout partner who will keep me accountable and make it fun! I’ve recently started boxing and indoor cycling, a great stress reliever. My next step is to add weights to keep my bones strong and to help with weight loss.
Take supplements. It’s a huge goal of mine to take supplements consistently. Now that I have a pill organizer, I set aside time every Sunday to organize my supplements. I’m currently taking a multivitamin specifically for perimenopausal/menopausal women, omega-3, a probiotic, and fiber. I feel better when I take my supplements every day, since I know I’m not getting all the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients I need through diet alone. Good Girl Probiotics is made with 8 strains of good bacteria for vaginal, gut, and immune health—most probiotics only contain one.*
Sparkle Fiber contains an all-natural formula that supports digestion, helps the body remove toxins for glowing skin, and improves energy so you can take on your day.*
(Speaking of diets: I am switching to a plant-based diet with fish and seafood. I’m excited to eat in-season fruits and vegetables, and I’ve eliminated red meat, pork, chicken, and processed foods from my diet. Feeling strong!)
I’m ready to make these changes and consistently commit to my physical and mental wellness. I know that adjustments take time, but most importantly, I know that I’m ready to feel better.
Will you join me?
– Dr. Jodie Horton, Board-certified OB/GYN and Love Wellness Advisor