Recently, we posted an article about mental health self-care activities, where we talked about the importance of self-care, and gave a general overview of how to take care of mental health.
This blog post will talk about the 13 best mental health exercise classes to make it easy to manage your mental health. And with regular practice, you can form new habits out of these exercises.
Regardless of your age or fitness level, you can improve your mental health, remove your stress and be more energetic by initiating exercise as your daily fitness routine. But before going further, let’s take a look at the importance of exercise and how it will help take care of mental health.
Importance of exercise in mental health
Mind or mental health is an integral part of our overall health. Experts suggest that people who regularly exercise can maintain mental prosperity, sleep well at night, have sharp memories, and feel more relaxed and optimistic about their lives.
By maintaining these easy and useful mental health exercises combined with professional help, you can cure any common mental disorder and diseases like depression, ADHD, anxiety, etc. Exercises also can improve memory, boost overall mood, and help to relieve everyday stress.
So, you can attain mental health fitness by looking after physical health fitness.
Mental health has connections with physical health in every possible way. The following nine types of easy and useful physical exercises can help you to take care of your mental health-
Walking is the easiest exercise to maintain for anyone, regardless of age and health condition. You can start at a normal pace and gradually increase your pace for maximum benefits. You can increase your pace and increase how much you have walked.
If you are a newbie to this exercise world and don’t know where and how to start, start with 30 minutes of regular walking. You can also join walking programs available near your location.
Through its simplicity, walking is very beneficial for maintaining a well-balanced physical and mental well-being. Research suggests that walking can reduce the 30% chance of getting depressed, and also it helps to reduce fatigue.
Skipping is another easy exercise to do, and all you need is just a little space on your rooftop or the balcony. In case you have a busy work schedule, you can also do this exercise by just taking 5-minute breaks throughout the day, and it will still be effective.
According to experts, regular 15 minutes of skipping rope with moderate intensity helps maintain mental health. Skipping may improve your mental health by releasing a hormone named endorphin, known to ease depressive moods.
Aerobics exercises need more endurance and guidance, but they can also be fun. It is a form of exercise that mainly depends on moving your body to move muscles with the help of oxygen. American Heart Association suggests practicing aerobics at least half an hour for five to six days a week to maintain good health.
Aerobic exercises include many forms of exercise like dancing, skating, swimming, etc. You can start with one of these, and you can also do all of them. These exercises are fun to do. You can also enjoy the benefits of aerobics with your homies, so you don’t need to give any excuses to avoid regular workouts.
Cycling is a fun and easy workout, and the fun fact is you don’t have to do it as an exercise. You can take a cycle instead of taking a taxi, bus, or subway to the office or any other place.
Cycling is a beginner-friendly approach to maintaining overall well-being and, with cycling, you can manage your outlook and mental health.
Yoga is a simple and holistic approach and mental health kit to maintaining overall physical health and mental health.
Studies from all around suggest that yoga improves general well-being by releasing stress and improving mental/emotional health. With its intense and relaxing poses, stretching and techniques like Surya Namaskar, yoga merely focuses on correcting the parasympathetic structure and mending mental illness. It also helps to get cured of overthinking-related problems.
You can do yoga without any accessories, and still, it will show effects on your mental health, but you may need accessories like a yoga mat and knee caps for performing complex yoga poses.
6. Martial Arts
Martial arts is an old and enlightening way to approach the overall mind, body, and wellbeing. It can potentially change the way you live your life and your perspectives of life. Martial arts is one of the toughest exercises among these 13 best exercise classes for mental health. You may need a coach or a trainee to learn this art form.
Martial art helps to build a strong character, and it is found helpful to boost mental health, creating discipline and accountability in your life. It is more beneficial to practice martial arts while doing yoga. According to experts, martial arts can reduce stress and anxiety through breathing and meditation techniques.
7. Weight Training
whether you require some muscle for a good-looking body, or you have to boost your confidence and mental strength, weight training is an easy and quick way to do it. According to a study, weight training is helpful to reduce depression and anxiety among adults and teenagers. You can also maintain a good physique by practicing weight training, and regular practice will gradually lift your self-confidence and self-esteem and help make you a better person.
8. Circuit training
If you don’t have that much time to go to the gym, you can pick up some lightweight gym accessories and go for circuit training. In this form of training, you can do multiple exercises with short time intervals between them. You can even pick up some simple bodyweight exercises like push-ups, pull-ups, squats, etc. With them, you can make your style of circuit training. Experts recommend that regular 20 minutes of circuit training improve mood and relieve your mental pressure.
There are a thousand benefits of sports. You can pick one of your choices, or you can choose multiple to manage and boost your mental health and wellness. Sports like Frisbee, Skating, River rafting, Badminton are very popular in the USA.
Exercise classes to join
You can pick up one of your choices or choose multiple to manage and boost your mental health and wellness. Also, you can take online classes if you prefer to practice alone. What you have to do is simply take some time to nourish yourself. Below, we are mentioning some exercise programs to try out.
- Lululemon Yoga classes – Lululemon is an American-Canadian yoga-focused chain featuring yoga gears and accessories, and they also provide online free video courses on various types of yoga. You can find detailed video courses on yoga- yoga for beginners, yoga for finding calm, and many more lessons by their best teachers.
- Himalayan institute – Himalayan institute, located in the Pocono Mountains of north Pennsylvania, provides various online courses and services on yoga, meditation, and wellness and also provides offline wellness retreats, travel programs, and ayurvedic services. It is possible to get a free trial by signing up as a mission member. After that, they charge $9.99/month to get access to their wisdom library.
- Iyengar yoga institute – Iyengar yoga institute provides online in-person and hybrid classes. Their per class cost starts from $19. Although, it is possible to save some money by taking their membership.
- Tracy Anderson online studio – Tracy Anderson is a fitness expert and a fitness industry pioneer based in New York. Her online studio program, available with a 14-day trial, offers her own designed workout classes for beginners, intermediate, and advanced levels. After trial, it costs $90/month.
- FlexfitNYC – FlexfitNYC offers highly effective classes on HIIT and cross-fit exercises at Brooklyn that start from $25 per session.
- The Fhitingroom – The Fhitingroom is known for its HIIT and kettlebell workout classes. . Their Offline classes are available in three locations in NYC and they also offer online classes. (Didn’t get their pricing details)
- Brazenathletics – Brazenathletics provides customized CrossFit workouts in Hoboken, New Jersey, with indoor private sessions. They also offer to start with their free trial classes.
- Poe fair haven – Poe fair haven is a workout studio based in New Jersey that focuses on mostly aerobics movement and also provides hot yoga classes. They provide their first class free and later charge $65 with a two-month unlimited service.
- Dancebody – Dancebody is a workout studio based in New York that provides dance workout classes. They offer both online classes from $34.99/month or $349/year.
- Anna KaiserStudios – Anna Kaiser studios offer a balancing strength and cardio training program that varies from dancing to cardio and strength training at different pricing.
- Bronx Jiu-Jitsu – Bronx Jiu-Jitsu is a Martial art academy that teaches Brazilian and Japanese forms of Jiu-Jitsu. This academy is focused on giving the best training and learning experience for both children and adult age groups.
- Supreme martial arts – Supreme martial arts provides classes on various martial art techniques at the Upper West Side, Upper East Side, and East Village area. They come with both virtual and offline training.
- International martial arts center – International Martial arts center offers martial arts classes for different age groups with 25 years of experience. They are helping to build self-discipline and self-confidence, especially among children and adults also. They also provide private and semi-private training for people’s convenience.
- DougPierre – Doug Pierre is a renowned sifu in the USA. He teaches various martial arts techniques with his 65 years of teaching experience at Village Mixed Martial Arts Institute.
That is all about these 13 best mental health exercise classes. First of all, understand the importance of mental health, then follow these exercises on your own and if you want to continue, join any exercise classes to get perfect well-being.
Comment below if you have thought of starting your journey to improve your mental health. And, let us know in the comments about what type of mental problems you are facing in your daily life. We will surely find solutions for them.